Sunday, May 25, 2008

My cat Allie

Technically this isn't Monroe research but Allie has been with me for 17 years so to me she is family. Her time to leave is very near. I've asked her to hang on until Tuesday so I can take her to the vet who will help her along her way to be with her sister Kate. Kate left us last August. I'm not sure Allie can wait that long. Even the Humane Society (of which I am a member) is closed until Tuesday so if she goes before then I guess I'll just have to make her body as respectable as I can until Tuesday.

Allie has been slowly starving herself. Yesterday I don't think she ate anything but she did drink water. Today she hasn't eaten. Nothing I try to feed her tempts her. Most of her life she weighed about 15 pounds. I think she is less than 10 now. It's really difficult to watch this transition she is going through.

I guess I shouldn't be so sad. Allie's had a good life. She never wanted for love or food or shelter. She and Kate were such good buddies. They were feral foundlings - only a few days old when found and neighbors of mine raised them on baby bottles and formula until they came to me. Since Kate left us (age 16.5) Allie has not eaten well. Part I'm sure was just getting older (the vet said nothing was wrong with her except her age) but I think part was that her sister Kate was no longer with us. I miss Kate terribly and now Allie is ready to join her it makes me ever so sad. But... they belong together and it's time...

2 comments:

lyn said...

Allie left me today at 3:45pm. I'm already lonesome. The house feels so empty.

Carolyn said...

Lyn,
I can feel for you with the loss of both Kate and Allie, I have been "pet less" for several years now and I regularly think of find a new animal to love. However, with family in California, Florida, and Oklahoma it seems I am away from home too much to have a pet. As I write this I am currently planning a driving trip to Florida and will be gone for at least 3 weeks. So sorry about your lost but as you said both "ladies" had long, content lives.
Carolyn