Friday, May 23, 2008

Samuel Allan/Allen Monroe

Last week my cousin Carolyn discovered a shirt-tail cousin of ours named John who is interested in family history. John descends from a sister of Jennie (Little) Matson who married Samuel A. Monroe. I was delighted to learn this news as I had never had contact with anyone in Sam's Monroe line. Sam is the son of John T. Monroe (s/o Allen Johnson Monroe and Mary Ann Thomas) and Sarah Dorcas Martin. Sam never appears in the census with his parents as he is born after 1880 and in out of the house by 1900 census. Sam has an older brother Charles. I'd surely like to know what happened to Charles. Charles is age 26, single, living with his parents in Morgan Co., IL in 1900 census. He isn't with them in 1920 census. I have a note in my db he married "Pauline". I think this info may be from the Hooper Genealogy?

John has a wonderful photo of Sam and Jennie and Jennie's daughter from her first marriage. He posted this photo to the Johnson_Monroe Yahoo group. John also has a gedcom at http://www.worldconnect.rootsweb.com/. The name of his data base is "jblomax32". He has included lots of notes in this data base that make for interesting reading.

I'm in the process of getting my data base updated on the John T. Monroe and Sarah Dorcas Martin line. I do not yet know Sarah's parents but she has a brother Charles who lives with her and John in the 1880 census. He is born about 1849. Sarah and Charles' father is born in Maryland and mother in Illinois.

No comments: